Did you know our Hermitage location features a pool that is available for therapy, exercise classes and open pool time?
Water-based exercise is a fun way to add variety to your fitness regimen! Whether you enjoy swimming laps, treading water, walking or running under water or water aerobics classes, these aquatic activities can add new benefits into your exercise routine and are beneficial for people of all ages and ability levels.
The Aquatic Exercise Association reports that you can expect to burn 400 to 500 calories per hour when exercising in the water, and because water offers 12 times the resistance of air, this exercise helps improve muscle strength. The addition of hand-held paddles, foam noodles and rings, and kick-boards can add more resistance to to your workout, increasing the intensity and results. The pool is also a great place to work on your stretching to improve overall flexibility.
Aquatic workouts can be an excellent form of exercise for those who are suffering from arthritis, lower back pain, injuries to their lower extremities, or are overweight because water places upward force on a person. This upward force is called “buoyancy” and it means that you can be unweighted by as much as 90% when in the water up to neck level. Because of this, water exercise will have a lower impact on joints making it ideal for those who experience pain when doing land exercises. It also often helps to improve strength and mobility in patients recovering from surgeries and those suffering from painful and/or chronic musculoskeletal conditions.
Water exercise offers so many benefits for people of all fitness abilities! Join us at our aquatic center for therapy, an aquatic exercise class, or open swim and start enjoying the benefits for yourself!
What you should know about our Aquatic Center:
- The water is kept at 92 degrees at all times making it perfect for people who have arthritis or other pain.
- Our aquatic center is supervised and has two changing rooms with showers.
- For those who are recovering from injuries, the pool does have individualized therapy program which are monitored by our PTs and PTAs and billed to your insurance.
- Exercise classes are lead by an instructor and incorporate full body fitness. Classes are available…
- Tuesday and Thursday at 9:30am and 5:30pm
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 10 am.
- Open pool time for people to come in and exercise at their own pace is offered on…
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 8:30am and 11:00am
- Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm.
- The cost for open sessions and classes is $5.00 for an hour session or a package of 20 sessions for $80.00.
- We are a Silver and Fit facility so individuals under that program may have the cost of their sessions covered.
Questions? Give our Hermitage office a call at (724) 962-7920.